DRC: Supported Independent Living (SIL) Darwin Art event
When Sat 22nd Oct 2022, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
If you have a story or idea to share with the Disability Royal Commission (DRC), particularly about any past or current experiences of Supported Independent Living (SIL) and are a person with disability (PWD), or their Carer/friend/family – we want to hear from you!
Please join the Community Engagement team from the DRC for a group (or private) chat about what the future should look like for people with disability. This art event will be run with Amina from Free Space studio and includes delicious catering.
We want this to be a good experience for you, so we will:
- make time for you to get to know the DRC team and other attendees
- protect your privacy
- have free counselling support available for anyone who would like it (you might feel uncomfortable sharing your story, or have difficult feelings about the DRC)
- have regular breaks and provide tasty snacks
- provide a fun art activity
- listen to you!
As a group, we will ask you to share your ideas and experiences about some of the things below (you can also share privately):
- Belonging: Your ideas about what is needed to help you feel that you belong in your community/home
- Decision Making: Your experiences of having choice and control over where you live and with whom
- Ideas: Your ideas abut what needs to change/what works well in SIL
- Hopes: Your hopes for what would make SIL better for people into the future; your ideal SIL home
The DRC will publish a report of recommendations to the Australian Government in September 2023 about what needs to change to improve the future for people with disability. Your experiences and ideas will help the DRC.
Register here for your free ticket to attend.
This group will be limited to 15 participants.
We are really looking forward to meeting you!